The Fleur de Lys Building
Built in 1885, the building was designed by Sydney Richmond Burleigh with Providence architect Edmund R. Willson and is one of the most delightful in Providence. Through its Norman, half-timbered facade, the structure lends what some have called a 16th century atmosphere to Thomas Street. Lending Burleigh a hand with the decoration were John G. Aldrich and Charles Walter Stetson.
The evidence of their combined artistic handiwork is present in many a nook and cranny.
When the house was deeded to the Art Club by Mrs. Burleigh in 1939, she stipulated it continue to be used for artists’ studios, as it has been to this day.
In 1992, the Fleur de Lys was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark.